Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Taste of Where I Came From

There is this place back in my hometown of Alton, IL (about 35 minutes outside of St. Louis) that makes the best pastrami sandwhich made fresh to order with a New York stlye deli feel and what makes it even better is that it is a block away from my house. Ever since I have moved to Louisville, I have been searching for a new place to satisfy my sandwhich needs (I could eat a sandwhich for every meal every day and, in fact, I do most days). The Best of Louisville Award pointed me toward Stephens & Stephens Deli (1114 Bardstown Rd.) as the best deli in Louisville and right when I walked into the deli, I was reminded of home. Stephens & Stephens deli is a hidden gem because it is actually located in the back of another restaurant. If you know where Highland Coffee is and Blockbuster there on Bardstown Rd. walk a block going towards downtown and you will come to a sign that shows both Stephens and Stephens Deli and the name of the other restaurant, walk in and go straight back. The menu is way more extensive then my hometown deli and there are many sides that are not offered at home. The atmosphere is much like a New York style deli and the decor is pictures of many famous people, which the sandwhiches are named after. I got the Mark's Special (hot pastrami and corned beef on rye with dijon and a choice of 2 sides) and my girlfriend got the yellow submarine (an Italian sub of ham, turkey, pastrami, pepperoni, salami, melted provolone on French bread with lettuce, tomato, and Italian dressing) and both were excellent. I got potato salad and pasta salad, which both had various kinds of each, and me and my girlfriend got two soda for a total of $18, which was a small price to pay for how much food we got. So go check it out if you can and tell me about your experience!
http://www.stevensandstevensdeli.com/

1 comment:

  1. heyo- I randomly found your blog while looking at another UofL friend's blog. I'm from the area, and am currently at Vermont Law School. Anywho, I've worked in restaurants in the area and my boyfriend is a chef-- if you ever need any tips let me know! You should try a day trip to Midway-- check out Holly Hill Inn (we both worked there, and it is amazing!) If you are still looking for a great sandwich you should also check out Wallace's Station. Good luck with your first year!

    Here's my lil food blog:
    http://how-to-tuna-fish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete