Saturday, September 3, 2011

5 Best Places I Have Eaten My Short Time In Louisville

1. Ramsi's Cafe on the World (1293 Bardstown Rd. http://www.ramsiscafe.com/)-- I like this place so much that I have eaten here twice and I have only live here for four weeks. The first time I went, I got the Panini Caprese (chickent, fire roasted tomatoes, goat cheese, basial aioli with basil potatoes and red peppers) and it was so good. I love the laid back atmosphere and the drinks were cheap. The second time I went, I got the smoked pita (smoke beef tenderloin, artichoke hearts, red onions, portebello mushrooms in a pita with salted, fried potatoes, which was also very good. Now, this place gets pretty busy during dinner time, so I suggest go early or late (they stay open until 2 a.m. some days) and I have also heard that their brunch is awesome as well.
2. New Albanian Brewing Co. (64 west to 265 east, take grant line, turn  right off exit and then left at second light, 415 Bank St. New Albany, IN http://www.newalbanian.com/nabcsite2008/gl_at_a_glance.html) Let me give you a secret that a law school friend gave to me, do not sleep on the places across the river and the New Albanian Brewing Co. is evidence of this. We tend to get so caught up in the vast amount of restaurants in Louisville, itself, that we forget the whole other world across the river. The New Albanian Brewing Co. brews around 6 or 7 of their own beers, as well as providing various other beers from micro-breweries around this area and elsewhere. What's even better... they do not offer large brews like Bud Light and Miller Lite. Now do not get me wrong, I like a good, cold Bud Light sometimes, but it's nice to try something that is only offered around here and that you will not  find anywhere else (support local!). Also, the pizza was delicious here and I know local Louisvillians love their Wicks, but I have been to both and trust me, unless Wicks had a bad day I was there, this pizza blows it away in my opinion. Side Note: it was very busy the friday I went and I have been told that every friday and saturday are the same and it is kind of small, so expect a wait if you go on either of those days, but trust me, it's worth the wait.  Get the Juniper draft, it's awesome.
3. Simply Thai (323 Wallace Ave. http://www.allmenus.com/ky/louisville-east/38956-simply-thai/menu/) This place is sooo good. I love Thai food and I think you will agree that their Thai is fantastic if you like Thai and even if you don't, they will convert you. I got their Pad Kee Mow with chicken and my girlfriend got their PadThai with chicken and both were great. They allow you to choose your spice level, which is a nice feature for those who do not like their food too spicy. We ordered to go, but the restaurant seemed like a really unique atmosphere. There is a break between service meaning service ends at 3 and begins again at 5, I believe, so try to get there within the time periods they are serving, but definitely worth going.
4. Home Run Burgers (between third st. and 4th st. right by the campus newest location http://www.homerunburger.com/) I just went there today and I knew that they had been voted #1 burger in Louisville and now I see why. They have a double pattied burger (called a Big Leaguer) that was pefectly cooked and so juicy with a large array of toppings that you can choose to put on it. The price was good (a combo was like $9) and the atmosphere is sporty and laid back. I definietly recommend it as a place to grab a quick bite and then walk down the road to the Comfy Cow (which I have not been to, but heard great things about).
5. El Mundo ( 2345 Frankfort Ave. http://www.502elmundo.com/) This place is kind of a double edged sword because the food was great, the atmosphere was cool, but really cramped and there is no ice machines, the margaritas were delicious, but the prices were kind of high for what you get. Now, do not get me wrong, everything was great and it is worth going to, but it was busy and hard to get a seat if you got one at all and just a warning, do not sit at the table in front of the kitchen, it think I got bumped by the busser like five times.

Honorable Mentions: Cafe Mimosa (delicious food, cool patio in the back), Wicks (pizza was okay, atmosphere was laid back and cool, I want to give this place another try because I have heard a lot of great things about it, but I am from St. Louis and we take out pizza seriously) Ri Ra's ( I like pubs, and the patio was nice, but I try to stay away from 4th st. live because the prices are at the upper end and the food was good, but not knock your socks off)

No comments:

Post a Comment